We all seek comfort food when the temperatures drop, and a pie is a deliciously versatile dish for our wintry meal times. Pies are versatile, in that you can fill them with whatever you fancy. Here is a very quick and easy recipe for a chicken, mushroom and leek pie. Perhaps this will inspire you to rustle together a hearty creation of your own.
Puff pastry sheet
Chicken breasts (This is a lean option, although chicken thighs are tastier.)
Herbs/Seasoning: Pink himalayan salt, black pepper, paprika, tarragon, fresh thyme, olive oil.
– Cut the chicken into pieces and add into a pan to brown.
– Add the sliced leeks and allow them to shrink slightly.
– Add the sliced mushrooms and chopped carrots.
– Add your herbs and season to taste. There should be some liquid at the bottom of you pan.
– Stir in approx. 2 tbsp of crème fraîche. Turn off the heat and allow the ingredients to simmer.
– Heat your oven to 180C
– Assemble the pie. Spoon out the pie filling into a an oven/pie dish (inc. juices), then cover evenly with the puff pastry sheet. Seal the edges by pushing the pastry edges onto the dish. This is the time to decorate the pastry if desired. Gently sprinkle some water over the pastry, be careful not to saturate the pastry.
– Place in the pre-heated oven for approx. 30 mins (until the pastry is golden).
– Serve and enjoy!
I served my pie with a healthy dose of green vegetables, roast potatoes and roast beetroot (recipe coming soon).
Enjoy… and be creative!! 🙂